Saturday 17 September 2011

Essential Credit Battery

A bank of screens, roundly ignored, showed various angles of bag-laden families grazing on the fertile west field. They shuffled for space, occasionally bumping one another with a grunt and a change of direction the only result.

One end of the counter in the watchtower had been commandeered for today's game. A table cloth purloined from one of their charges below covered the surface and around it sat the four players. Mugs held irish coffee, apart from one, and a saucer a pile of digestives. A heap of cigarettes sat in front of each player.

"Do you ever think about love?"

"More often than the wife would like."

"You know what I mean."

"The kind of love that would drive me to kill for my kids or the kind that I would kill to win?"

"Are they different?"

"I don't know. The kind that makes us special."

"You think you're special?"

"You ever seen a wildcat defend its kittens?"

"You've never seen that."

"No, but I bet they go mental."

"Is that love?"

"You'd have to ask them."

"And what would that prove?"

"Fold."

"Fold."

"Call."

No comments:

Post a Comment